Thursday, October 13, 2011

Running on sand


Still getting the hang of this blog thing, I realize my posts aren't always that focused one one particular topic, rather an eclectic mix of recipes, dog training, exercise, random happenings since the last post, etc but bear with me while I sort it out...  

So anyways...on Sunday, I made DELICIOUS pumpkin pancakes for breakfast...thanks to my friend Stephanie (The Brunette Foodie) for the idea, check out the recipe on her blog.  Hayley and Walker got to try a little bit of the pancakes too and give them four paws way up!!!  

Sunday evening, I saw Mariana Bell at Brainwash Cafe and I must say she was amazing, she has the most beautiful voice and is incredibly talented.  Can't wait to listen to her new CD.

This week is Week 5 of Couch-to-5K, right on target for my 5K run next month!  The pups and I went for a jog at the beach after work...  I do most of my jogging at the beach on sand, which has its benefits:

  • You burn between 1.2 and 1.8 times more calories per mile on each run which is between 20 and 80 extra calories per mile because running on sand consumes more energy.  (European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology).
  • It's lower impact/easier on your joints.
  • Even just a few beach runs strengthens your ankles, arches, and all other below-the-knee muscles more than running on hard surfaces.
I actually chose to run barefoot this evening (it helped that it was unusually warm), which helps strengthen your feet and ankles even more.  I noticed it was a harder workout and we'll see if my legs hurt tomorrow morning.  Running on sand is also great for dogs, it's strenuous exercise, kinder on paws and joints and an excellent way to build healthy muscle.  























Skateboarding training is going great, both pups are able to push the skateboard but we're still polishing technique and still working indoors.  Will try to post pics and videos soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment